Sunday, March 2, 2008

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

As soon as I heard that Geraldine Brooks had a new book out I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I loved her book MARCH, a Pulitzer Prize winner. PEOPLE OF THE BOOK is about a Jewish prayer book called the Haggadah. It was found in Sarajevo after being saved by a Muslin Librarian, Karaman. Hanna Heath, a rare book conservator has been called by the UN to examine the beautifully illustrated book. As she examines the rare manuscript she find an insect wing, a wine stain, a salt crystal and a white hair. Stories telling where the book has been since it was created and why the wing, salt, wine stain and hair were in it It is mysterious, a love story and has some interesting surpises through the book. I was in the dark on some of the history about where the Haggadah has been. I need to read up on some history. Anything by Geraldine Brooks is going to spark my interest. I am putting her YEAR OF WONDERS on my "To read list".
Marie enjoyed this book and wanted to let you know about it.

No comments: