Thursday, March 6, 2008

Before Green Gables, the Prequel to Anne of Green Gables by Budge Wilson

Because I felt compelled to add something to the book club, and before I forgot much about it, I thought I would give you my review of the last book I read, Before Green Gables, published in 2008.  I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until I was a young adult, and because I like a good story, I enjoyed all of the books in the series. Now I wouldn't expect this book to be on the top of anyone's list, but because I was curious about Anne's life (Anne with an e) prior to Green Gables I thought I would give it a try.  The author, Budge Wilson, does a good job in tracing the history of Anne's life before she is adopted by Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert.  Ms. Wilson did a lot of research into the history of Prince Edward Island, where Anne ultimately resides, and the economic and social circumstances of the time.  The book explains what Anne's parents were like, where her red hair comes from, how she and her parents were loved by their neighbors, and ultimately the path Anne follows merely by circumstance and poverty to Green Gables.  It provides a background for her imaginary friends, her imagination and her vast vocabulary.  It is worth reading if only to discover why Anne does not like twins, and what little regard orphans were given in daily life.  She was more or less a slave from the age of 4.  I would give the book an 8 on a scale of 1-10.  If you enjoyed the Anne of Green Gables series, you will appreciate this book for the background information it gives you on Anne's life.  That's all for now!  Nora 

1 comment:

Joni said...

Nora, I'm embarrassed to admit that I have never read Anne of Green Gables. I think I would like to now. Would you recommend reading "Before Green Gables" first? Joni