Saturday, October 6, 2007

Book Review: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

By Joni:

I initially picked up this book thinking it might be a light little chicklit read and I was looking for something light to read over the weekend.


It turns out, it wasn't that light. The story revolves around two friends growing up in 19th century Japan and it follows the girls from pre-pubescence through their childbearing years and later, for one of the girls, as an elderly woman reminicsing about her friend.

The accounts of the girls footbinding is pretty graphic and this is definitely worth reading if this practice has ever intrigued you. The book is also an interesting look at the roles gender and privilege played in Japanese society at the time.

Lisa See has a lyrical quality to her writing and, even though the subject is sometimes brutal, it's lovely to read and I recommend the book whole-heartedly.

After reading "Snow Flower" I looked for other books by See. I found a book called "Dragon Bones" that sounded good on the jacket but didn't hold my attention. I've heard "Peony in Love" is also very good but I haven't investigated it yet. Has anyone read Lisa See before?

No comments: